Monday, March 21, 2005

My obligatory political comment

Thanks to Patrick at Liquor and Wordcount for this one.



I post this, not because I necessarily feel that it's particularly relevant to the U.S. (although I do) nor to poke fun at American citizens (even if they did vote it on themselves). Rather, I began thinking of what an Australian version would look like...

"Ignore Kyoto!"
"Imprison the Refugees."
"Toady up to the U.S. whenever possible."
"Lie about torture."
"Never say sorry!"
"Ignore Human Rights records in trade talks."

"But don't you raise my *!#& Interest Rates!"

To quote the late, great Bill Hicks, "My hat is now firmly in the political ring."

Why the political vehemence? Well today I spied an article from the Sydney Morning Herald that spoke of children being taken from schools directly to detention centres (Uurrgh, it gives me the creeps just writing that), in front of other students, because their parents had overstayed visas. No "Where are we going?" or "I guess I may never see you guys ever again", but instead a couple of guys in black suits hauling children away with no explanation.

It's repugnant and just another sign of why I can say without fear of repudiation that Coalition politics is based on evil. It is a politic based on selfishness and greed, caring only for the individual with power. This is a damn pity because there are elements of Liberal/National policy I don't have any issues with and am quite in favour of when compared to similar viewpoints expressed by the Labor Party. However it all comes back to this initial premise, that conservative politics is based on evil, regardless of their much ballyhooed support of organised religion, or rather the old Protestant doctrine of "he who dies with the most toys is blessed."

The thing that really steamed me up about the situation was not that this had happened (although it certainly did get me mad), but rather that it wasn't reported until the poor Aussie kids were being traumatised that their friends were being taken away without knowing what was happening. Their fear was that it may happen to them. I understand that this is a perfectly normal feeling, especially during childhood, but it seems that if it happens to a foreigner then it's unfortunate but necessary. The moment it impacts directly on Australian citizens it becomes a political issue.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the original article online, but here's a follow up where the N.S.W State Premier gets himself into the action.
Carr condemns removal of children - SMH.com

I love my country, passionately, but sometimes I cringe with frustration at what we're becoming.

No comments: