Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

It's weird how a movie can affect you in ways you never thought possible. That's what just happened to me while watching "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy." As a long time fan of the radio series and the book, I was looking forward to seeing what they'd done with the movie, especially after the disappointment of the TV series. I most certainly wasn't let down. It held just enough that was word for word from the original script and just enough that was new to keep it interesting.

But that's not the point.

The thing that struck me was the unexpected wave of emotion that rolled over me during the opening sequence. I could feel tears start to well in my eyes in delight at what I was seeing, and to this point I'm still not sure why. Possibly it was the cleverness of the Dolphin elements, possibly it was the realisation that twenty years of imagination was being put on a screen, and perhaps there was a bit of sadness at knowing that Douglas Adams, the brilliant mind behind it all, is not with us to bask in the glory of this accomplishment. The opening titles sequence, where Adams in credited for his part in the writing of the screenplay, certainly drove this home to me.

Highlights? Many and varied. Mos Dev as Ford, Alan Rickman as marvin, guest spots by Simon Jones, the wonderful bureaucratic drudgery of the Vogons, Eddie the Shipboard Computer and Stephen Fry as the Book. However the real highlight for me was the Magrathean Showroom floor in all its glory. It was the kind of visual experience that just couldn't have been brought to realisation a few years ago. Again, I felt a wave of sadness that Douglas Adams couldn't have seen it and revelled in the visualisation of his work.

Anyway, if you've heard about it and never known what all the fuss was about, grab a Pan-Galactic GargleBlaster, get to a cinema near you and see it!

No comments: