Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Plan 9 again and the critics.

Yesterday(or was it the day before? Hmmm, Friday actually) I made mention about the Internet Archive making Ed Wood's classic "Plan 9 From Outer Space" available for download. At the time I made use of a term that's been used to describe the film, i.e. "The worst fovie of all time." Similarly, Wood himself has been derided as the Worst Director of all time. While I realise that this comment is only half serious, it made me conscious of something I just felt like getting off my chest.

The only people that can say "Worst Director of all time" are those that have put their balls on the line and actually made something similar themselves. If I have to put up with one more ignorant wanker who thinks that a university degree is an excuse to mouth off on other's work to cover up their own lack of ability, drive, determination, creativity and/or laziness, someone's losing some teeth.

Kudos to Ed Wood! Not because he's a great director, but because he loved what he was doing and went out and did it, in a time before DV cameras and cracked copies of Adobe Premiere.

I realise no one's reading this, but I feel good about having vented.

No comments: