Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Gotta Love This Job!

Yesterday I found myself woken around 6am by a phone call.

"Can you be in by 7:30? There's been a Train Crash up north and we're expecting footage to start coming in. You'll need to cut a story for the Midday news."

Now, seeing as I'd not gone to bed until 2am I found it a little difficult to get going. I don't usually do my best work after only getting 4 hours sleep. That said, it's not the first time and it will no doubt not be the last. So in I went to get in the footage and cut up a couple of stories. Besides, things could have been a lot worse. I could have been one of the emergency personnel that got woken up very early that morning to go out and help the injured. In the end all I wound up having to do was edit a few stories and I have to say I was pretty happy with the way they turned out. A good thing too, as the Midday story wound up leading the national bulletin.

It was a shame the crash happened, but it could have been so much worse. No one died and only five people were seriously injured. I love the coment made by one work colleague, a journalist; "This is such a Queensland accident. No one dies, all the locals come out and help wherever they can, then when you ask people onboard if they were scared they all say 'Naah, not really. If you're gonna go what can you do about it?'"

I love this place.

No comments: